You can call this soup or chili, but either way it is wonderful! This recipe is also very adaptable to your personal taste. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if you like. This makes about 8 servings. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 onion, chopped (honestly, I grate my onions. I love the flavor, just not the chunkiness)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped finely
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with or w/out green chilies, undrained
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Now SHRED AWAY! You can hand shred or chop in small bite size cubes. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.