Sunday, January 15, 2012

Shrimp with Lemon Saffron Rice

I'll admit it! I'm a sucker for rice. I love it every way you present it to me - rolled up in sushi, white, fried, steamed, mixed with veggies, yep! I'm a big fan. So it's no surprise as I'm flipping the pages in my newest Cooking Light Magazine this recipe made my mouth water. Best part - IT'S DONE IN 20 MINUTES! Now if your a gambler like me - working mother, any quick meal that is delicious on top of it, well makes me excited to make it! And low calories too? Whoa!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp of EVOO
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1 tsp of minced FRESH garlic
1 lb peeled and deveined large shrimp
2 cups uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp saffron threads crushed
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp fresh pepper
1 - 14oz can of low sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen green peas
2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Heat a large Dutch oven medium high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and bell pepper, sauté for 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add rice, and next 7 ingredients (through broth). Bring rice mixture to boil; cover pan. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until rice is done. Remove from heat and stir in peas and Lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment