Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Big Red

For a few years now I have dreamed of owning a Le Creuset Dutch Oven, but couldn’t afford it. $200+ for a pot is just nonrealistic for a family of 4. So to my surprise unwrapping my 28th birthday gift from my older sister Ginger was quite a surprise! There in the decorated Macy’s package, was my very own, very first enamel cast iron Dutch Oven Pot– Red (duh) made by Marta Stewart. My mouth dropped and like a kid in a candy store my mind was racing with “WHAT RECIPE FIRST??”. I couldn’t WAIT to start cooking in it.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Martha Stewart’s line isn’t cheap either, but with free shipping at Macy’s and sale prices, you can get one for around $80. AND THE MONEY IS WELL SPENT. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty, should your pot develop any interior enamel damage. I’ve cooked in my pot now, umm probably over 200 times and I have almost had it a year. It gets more use in my kitchen then that deep frying pan who was my love in my pan/pot department before Big Red came along. Why did I wait so long?

You probably already know how indispensable a good Dutch oven can be, right? With it, I simmer my delicious pot roast, make braised dishes that start off on the stove and finish in the oven, delicious soups, stoups, stews and chili’s, and cook macaroni and cheese from scratch (just to name a few). The lid's knob is oven safe to 450 degrees, so there is no problem using it for bread-baking. Please, spend the money. The quality of the enamel is what you are paying for and if you go cheap, it won’t last long at all. Also, be sure you use utensils that won’t damage your pot or scratch the enamel at the bottom. I use wooden or my whisk, which wasn’t a cheap $1.99 whisk.

I'm sure there will be a Le Creuset in my kitchen someday, but until then my big red Martha Stewart pot will remain within easy reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment