Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Famous pasta sauce recipe

My Famous pasta sauce recipe

2 - #5 cans of Tomato Juice (LARGE SIZE)
2 - 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
4 - 15 oz cans of diced tomato
2 - 6 oz cans of tomato paste
3 -5 lbs of Beef short ribs or beef bones with fat.
2 large onions or 3 medium onions, diced

Spices:
2 T Salt
2 T Sugar
2 T Lawrys
1 T Black Pepper
1 T Minced Garlic
2-4 T Sweet Basil
2-4 T of Rosemary or 2-3 fresh sprigs
8-10 Leaves of Fresh Basil
5-10 Whole Bay leaves
4-6 T Parsley flakes
1 t -T Oregano
1-2 T Fennel

Notes: I use this recipe as a baseline for "my" sauce. I have changed things up a little bit, I feel
Like it is a better sauce all the way around.
Tips: Never buy the off brand! It screws with the flavor. I usually buy Campbells tom juice, and
huntsor S&W. The grocery stores around here never seem to have beef bones. I found an
alternate that makes the sauce AMAZING (beef short ribs). Plus, they are amazing to eat
with dinner too!
I recommend using ribs.

I like my sauce with chunks of tomato, medium consistency and full of flavor. If you love spices,
like me, then follow the higher quantities.

If you like thinner sauce, smaller chunks, then modify accordingly. Add some water, and use
petite diced tomatoes (or dice yourself), and follow the lower quantities. Bigger the stock pots
the better;

I always barely have enough room to cook everything!

Method:
Brown the beef ribs on all 4 sides really well in a non-stick pan. While the beef is cooking on med-high heat, start working on the sauce.
Start with high heat. In a 8-10 qt stock pot, add tomato juice, sauce, and tomatoes & onions.
Then start adding in all the spices.
Once the sauce is warm, add paste to help thicken the sauce. Best way: take approx 4 cups from pot, put it in a bowl, add paste, whisk it until paste is blended, then add it back to the pot.
Once beef is brown on all four sides, add it to the stock pot.

Let the sauce simmer for at least 1 hr before eating. Of course it is better if you let it simmer for 3-4 before eating. Once finished cooking, remove pot from fire, let it cool. Refridgerate overnight, eat again the next day. It is ALWAYS better! Sauce freezes well. Freeze what you will not eat. For me, I usually freeze 3/4 gal -1 gal in 2-3 containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment