This soup is DELICIOUS, easy to make, and sure to make anyone feel better. To be honest, I dont need to be sick to enjoy a good comfort food...
- 2 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast, or I buy a roasted chicken, shred the meat (no skin added)
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 carrots, chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- One 32-ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1/3 pound wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, halved onion, garlic, bay leaf and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery; add the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and 2 cups water to the pot and bring to a boil. Shred the poached chicken into pieces and add to the soup. Stir in the egg noodles and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the parsley, dill and lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper