The combination of unique ingredients make this chicken dish delicious. It roasts beautifully and is surprisingly fast once it's in the oven. You could serve this with any sort of veggies you perfer, and also add them in while roasting, sort of like a pot roast. The leftovers are fantastic for sandwiches, salads, and Mexican dishes.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- In a bowl, mix the salt, sugar, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Rub the chicken with the mixture. Cover chicken, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the garlic. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees F, and continue roasting 15 minutes. Baste chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees F, and continue roasting 30 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.